Welcome to this Adventure in the Letter to the Philippians!

All are welcome to explore Philippians in the Bible with me. While I will be studying the letter as written by Paul and taken from the perspective of women both ancient and contemporary, anyone at all can read and add their appropriate feedback and questions!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Philippians 1:12-14

Philippians 1:12-14
 And I want you to know, my dear brothers and sisters,that everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the Good News.  For everyone here, including the whole palace guard, knows that I am in chains because of Christ.  And because of my imprisonment, most of the believers here have gained confidence and boldly speak God’s message without fear.



Much was happening to Paul. He was in an incredibly dire living situation, incarcerated with Roman guards on constant watch. Still, he had such joy in Jesus and was so willing to suffer any hardship if he could feel the pain for Jesus. His focus was on Jesus’ cause here on earth and what would help “spread the Good News.” He saw that it was not about Paul, but about Jesus and others. Paul was glad that he was incapable of preaching because the entire church in Rome was encouraged to share the Gospel. They were out there doing the work, inspired by Paul and his being in their city in prison.

  Then, Paul also saw that the real reason for his imprisonment was known. He wanted the guards and people on up the line even into Caesar’s palace to know that he was in prison because of his faith in Jesus. They might become curious as to who Jesus is and want to check out the Christian faith for themselves.

Eve

  Did Eve ever get to the point where she was so attracted by the love of God that God’s cause was her life focus? Did she try to show the love and hope of God to her children? God would have comforted her heart through the years as she saw the result of her sin if she had kept looking to Him and letting God’s love hold her heart. She had to come to surrender her ability to make things better. She had to accept that she might not be the mother of the One who was to come and rescue her children from sin and the devil. We do not know if she surrendered to God and to letting His love heal her.

Mary

  Mary did focus on doing her best to follow God’s leading in her young motherhood and caring for the Child, Jesus. She was a mother that was willing to put everything she had and was on the line for this Boy of hers.  She was a mother, but she was dedicated to letting God do with her life what He planned. She is such a role model for women of any age today. All of us can look at her dedication throughout her life and let our hearts open. We can be inspired to give ourselves completely over to God’s will like she did.

My Prayer

My Father in Heaven,

Thank You for not being far away. You are right here with me on Planet Earth. Please let me live with the attitude of surrender to You and full dedication to what You want in whatever circumstances come my way. You are at work through everything that occurs. Help me to always believe You. Since I am Yours, everything that happens to me will work for good. Help me to be fully committed to Your cause, Your winning team. I can do this because of Jesus! Amen!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information. It is very interesting.



    Hardship letter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your most welcome, Jaylen. I love the book of Philippians.

      Delete