Welcome to this Adventure in the Letter to the Philippians!

All are welcome to explore Philippians in the Bible with me. While I will be studying the letter as written by Paul and taken from the perspective of women both ancient and contemporary, anyone at all can read and add their appropriate feedback and questions!

Sunday, October 21, 2012

I Can because of Jesus! Philippians 2:3, 4


Philippians 2:3, 4

Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.  Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.

This advice from Paul sounds so simple and basic, yet we can so easily find ourselves actually being selfish and thinking of ourselves as better than someone else. We can try to impress because we think we must, and we can keep very busy with our own interests and so easily miss others’ interest. We cannot keep this advice on our own.

We must actually combine these thoughts from verses 3 and 4 with verses 1 and 2 because it is that closeness with Jesus and His Spirit that brings about a change in our hearts. We are not selfish when we choose His presence, and He works His miracle of love in our hearts so that we can be in unity with others instead of being selfish.

Eve

Just as Eve was enticed in the garden with the flattery of Satan through the serpent, I am easily swayed by flattering suggestions when I do not keep choosing to stay close to Jesus. She lost her focus on God and Adam and focused on what she wanted. What day is it that we are not similarly tempted? God help us! He does, and that is our hope.

Mary

I do not know what Mary’s personality was, but her actions give a clue. She seemed the ultimate mother that was always looking out for the interest of her Child. I always picture her as being the perfect image of humble unselfish giving because of her willingness to fit in to the roll of mother to Jesus. Still, she was human. She was not perfect any more than any other woman. She had to pray for God’s help to be the best mother she could be and to overcome her personal faults.

My Prayer

Dear Lord Who is in control,

Please help me. Please help me give in to Your Spirit working in my heart and mind to keep my focus on You and what You want for me every day. This involves surrendering and letting You control me instead of the Devil and my selfishness. Help me to be caring and concerned for those around me and their daily experiences and interests. Thank You that there is hope for me. I can become like Jesus, and it is because of His wonderful work and life that I can pray! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment