Welcome to this Adventure in the Letter to the Philippians!

All are welcome to explore Philippians in the Bible with me. While I will be studying the letter as written by Paul and taken from the perspective of women both ancient and contemporary, anyone at all can read and add their appropriate feedback and questions!

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Caring about What Really Matters and Honoring Mentors

Philippians 2:19-24
If the Lord Jesus is willing, I hope to send Timothy to you soon for a visit. Then he can cheer me up by telling me how you are getting along.  I have no one else like Timothy, who genuinely cares about your welfare.  All the others care only for themselves and not for what matters to Jesus Christ.  But you know how Timothy has proved himself. Like a son with his father, he has served with me in preaching the Good News.  I hope to send him to you just as soon as I find out what is going to happen to me here.  And I have confidence from the Lord that I myself will come to see you soon.

This commendation of Timothy gives a little picture just how valuable unselfish service and giving for God’s kingdom really is. I am a little bothered by Paul’s statement that everyone else only cares for themselves instead of what Jesus cares about. How did Paul know this? I do know that Paul was in an awful imprisonment when he wrote this, and he must have seen some fruit or behavior by the others of whom he was speaking that made him draw such a sad conclusion. Contrasting language helped to paint clearly the picture of the trustworthiness of Timothy.

This contrasting of Timothy with others helps me to ask about myself. I have dedicated my life to God and His kingdom of Love, and He calls all who believe and accept Jesus as their Savior to serve. What kind of server am I? Am I like Timothy or the others who are not caring for what truly matters to our Savior? Good question. God, help me to be like Timothy.

I have known friends, Christian women, who have been to me like Timothy. They have given of themselves unselfishly for the cause of Christ, and they have generally cared about my welfare. I thank God for them! I think of some that really reached out to me when I needed help. They continued to check and make certain that I was OK. I am grateful, and I am glad to have had the privilege of knowing them. Just thinking of different ones beyond those precious women who are part of my blood relations brings tears to my eyes. I could name them, but I would have a very long list if I listed them all here! I am thankful that I am not like Paul who could name only one person.

Eve

In her old age, did she have any daughters or granddaughters who were close to her? Did anyone care for her when she needed help and encouragement? I am sad so many times when I hear that older people are not cherished as they should be by those whom they nurtured through the years. Many are left alone to feel forgotten and unloved when they still have so much to give.

One of the best things that we can do is give joy to those who have nurtured us and mentored us. I know I cannot truly be there for everyone who has been a blessing to me in my life, but I hope I will give encouragement and love to those I can reach out to in Christian love. When we are totally committed to God’s kingdom, we will especially treasure those older whose lives have been rich in service for Him.

Mary

We know that John took Mary in after Jesus’ death and that she lived with his family for the rest of her life. She was busy working for the cause of Christ. We know she was with the disciples on the Day of Pentecost. She must have told the story of Jesus to everyone around her through the years until her own death. What a blessing she must have been to the believers.

We do not know how long she lived, but I hope that she was always treasured by John’s family and others.  Those early years were so full of action. The believers went around the world giving the Good News. They were looking for Jesus’ return, and we should be even more zealous for the cause of Christ today. There is no time to be caring only for our own selfish wants and desires. Now is the time to be fully for the Kingdom and reaching others before it is too late.

My Prayer

Dear Precious Father Above,

Thank You for making me a part of Your Kingdom. Please help me to be fully committed, and not be selfishly endeavoring to please myself. Help me to please You, and be a blessing to my mentors and anyone that comes my way. Help me to reach out to others and encourage them to be seeking You before Jesus returns and takes us Home! I pray this because of Jesus! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment